Monday 2 March 2009

Feildian Inducted into Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall of Fame


Don Yetman will be inducted into The Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday, March 28, 2009 at The Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. Don played for the Feildians while in school and later for the Feildian club team. I watched him play with Bud Duffett, Stan Breen and Doug Squires. All the school had to go to the stadium, and watch our boys play against St. Bon's and Prince of Wales. He was your consumate sportsman who played the game to the very best of his ability and played it cleanly. He was and still is a gentleman both on and off the playing field. Hearty congratulations go out to Don and his wife, Izola. Three cheers for Don Yetman.

Floreat Semper Bishop Feild

1 comment:

Eric Suley said...

I have said this to Don personally, but it is such that I want to share my comments with those of you who knew Don much better than me. Peter's words here of Don are very well placed. He was not only the consumate sportsman, but a true gentleman As coach of our Junior baseball team in the 60's, Don was a master at getting everything from his players, not only because of his playing talent and knowledge of the game, but we respected him to the nth. degree because of his understanding and patient respect for others. As a late teen, I was so impressed by Don's "way", I tried to emulate him throughout my professional career. I'm sure many others were lucky enough to have prospered from his 'gift'. Thank you Don, the induction is long overdue not only to your contribution as an athlete but as a man.